November 15, 2006

Childhood Books.........

Don’t even ask me how I came across this meme because the route there escapes me at the moment!!! Oh wait, maybe it was via Beth who is a new commenter to my sister Trish's blog at Coffee House Chatter.

I am leary of memes....maybe selective is a better word.....this one caught my eye, or maybe better stated, my heart because it set off a flood of thoughts and memories of my history of reading......

1. How old were you when you learned to read and who taught you?

I really don’t remember how old I was but I know I have always loved reading….it was such a great escape….but honestly I could not put an exact age to when I became a reader. Funny thing is too that I have NO recollection of who taught me to read...that seems really weird!!! I remember my oldest brother teaching me how to swim but for the life of me I can't remember this one!!
2. Did you own any books as a child? If so, what’s the first one that you remember owning? If not, do you recall any of the first titles that you borrowed from the library?

Did we own books??? OMG……ours was a house of books…..Dad has been a book collector from day one….he is the one that made sure that we were aware of all the classics….not only aware….but read them all as well. Dad did a lot of reading to us which probably got me hooked in the first place….but it didn’t take long to want to read on my own as well.
3. What’s the first book that you bought with your own money?
We had sooooooooo many books I don’t ever remember having to buy one myself….it just seemed like all the one’s I wanted to read were always there. We also got lots of books as gifts on birthdays, Christmas….pretty much any occasion where gifts are given there would be books in the mix.

Actually now that I think of it…..the V.C. Andrews books….starting with Flowers in the Attic….yeah I likely bought those for myself early on. Dad was pretty militant about his books and always very pro-“the classics” and pretty much anti-“anything else”……so “those” books he probably would not have approved of.

4. Were you a re-reader as a child? If so, which book did you re-read most often?

No, I never understood re-reading books really….still don’t!

5. What’s the first adult book that captured your interest and how old were you when you read it?
The very first "real" book I read all on my own was Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and I loved it so much....I turned around and read it to my sister......**waving at Trish**

As for the first adult book......for sure, anything by Agatha Christie….I devoured those books at a pretty young age…one right after the other.....and there were soooooooo man of them.....I remember taking them EVERYwhere with me!!!
6. Are there children’s books that you passed by as a child that you have learned to love as an adult? Which ones?

No but there are books, like the Harry Potter series, that I keep thinking I would enjoy as an adult but then I have tried reading them and they just have not captured me enough to keep reading them.

7. Anything else you would care to share……….

Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators Series…..these were written by Robert Arthur and OMG these were my favourites as a mid-teenager….I never read the Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew…but I think I musta been JUST the right age for the Three Investigators Series when they came out. I think I read about every single mystery that these boys tackled!!

“A detective agency with its secret headquarters hidden in a junk yard with every possible invention made from that junk, boys who had freedom my friends and I only dreamed of, figuring out cases that baffled adults, meeting Alfred Hitchcock--The Three Investigators lived every child's fantasy.

Jupiter, the brains and the risk-taker, Pete, the athlete, and Bob, the record-keeper, formed a detective agency, complete with business cards. Each book starts with an introduction and ends with a conversation with Alfred Hitchcock or Mr. Sebastian
in later books. “

8.Cuz I KNOW you wanted to know.......
While writing this I was amused to remember something….for all my Dad’s militancy regarding the classics….and anything that he deemed to not fall in that category was just not worth reading……..there were an aweful lot of Harold Robbins books in our house………ahhhhhhhhhh yes nothing like cozying up to a little good, hot smut for the teenage brain!!! I read EVERY single one of those books!!! **blink**blink**
......just to balance out "the classics" of course…..**grin**

4 peeps just sayin':

Syd said...

My parents sent me to a military school, okay...not really, but it wasn't a far cry. Anyway, we were reading in kindergarten, so I guess 5 yrs old, maybe?

So glad to hear somebody else say they don't get the re-reading books thing. I believe I've done it once.

Middle Girl said...

Quite odd that I grew up loving to read. I don't recall anything in any of our spaces, save, Reader's Digest Condensed Novels and Bibles.

I loved (still) mysteries. I started going to the library at 7, by which time I was already taking public transpo to/fro school-detoured to library as often as possible.

I think the the first book I bought was "Go Ask Alice"

*Guilty* pleasures..in the early days Judith Krantz's "Scruples" wet a whistle or two.

I did endeavor to re-read some of the books I read in high school that I felt weren't given their just due. I enrolled in classics of the month club or some such thing as a young adult to accomplish-plus to get "classics" in the house towards prepping my own kids for reading.

Memes..memories, indeed.

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Oddly I knew how to read at age 3. My father was shocked because we were driving through New York City and I was reading all the theater signs. I used to read a lot, but sadly I don't any more. If I start reading a book I start falling asleep within two pages. It takes me six months to read a book these days.

xxxx said...

Flowers in the Attic was SUCH a scandalous book way back when!

I always loved to read when I was a kid, too.