November 30, 2006

Toilet paper you say???

Suzanne from the Suburban household is undertaking a most excellent scientific survey…..she has aptly named it…..Typical Household Toilet Paper Usage….or THTPU for short. I wondered out loud in her comments section about a corrolary scientific project…..namely the age old debate about how one “hangs” their toilet paper……my comment got to be so long that I realized it was fodder for a blog post of my own.

Believe it or not there are articles
here, here and here dealing with this exact topic……..this guy, in his very funny video, believes that “…this is one of those subjects that define who we are as humans….” Pretty heady stuff when you think about it!!! AND did you know that there is even a virtual toilet paper museum?? I kid you not….go check it out here…..but I only saw the front page….so enter that one at your own risk!!

Again, believe it or not (should we invite
Ripley’s to join us here???) this IS a topic of some discussion at family and friends gatherings!!! I, for one, can quite quickly be driven apeshit when the toilet paper is hung under....thankfully 90% of my family and friends agree...although some might have been ever so subtly co-erced (convinced??) into agreeing!! And those other 10% well they are just lost causes in this endeavour (….and between you, me and the fence-post I sometimes wonder if they hang it under just to see me go apeshit….).


So before I ask YOU to weigh in on the debate and tell me your toilet paper modality………


Some major moments in toilet paper

1391: Chinese emperors begin using toilet paper in 2-foot by 3-foot sheets. The Bureau of Imperial Supplies produces 720,000 sheets per year.
1857: New York entrepreneur Joseph C. Gayetty sells the first packaged, pre-moistened bathroom tissue (called "therapeutic paper") in packs of 500 sheets for 50 cents. He is so proud that he prints his name on every sheet.
1890: Toilet paper on a roll is introduced. Scott Paper doesn't want to be associated with its "unmentionable" product, so it sells the rolls through intermediaries.
1902: Northern Paper Mills introduces Northern tissue, a bundle of 1,000 4-by-10-inch sheets attached to a wire so it can be hung from a nail.
1930: Northern Tissue is declared splinter-free.
1942: Two-ply toilet paper is introduced at St. Andrew's Paper Mill in England.
1973: Johnny Carson makes a joke about a national toilet paper shortage and people rush to clean out store shelves.
1991: U.S. military uses toilet paper to camouflage its tanks in Saudi Arabia during the Persian Gulf War.
1999: Japanese inventors unveil the "paperless toilet," which washes, rinses, dries (and flushes).

So now I ask you....**drum-roll please maestro**....

Do you hang your toilet paper over......or under???

***insert perfect cute lil "over" and "under" graphics here if only blo**er was not being a super-sized biotch supreme today!!!***

Come on....speak out....let your voice be heard....don't be shy....come one come all.....everyone has an opinion....tell us what it is!!! Or perhaps you are one of those rarest of breeds that doesn't care one way or another....but surely that can't be!!! Surely everyone has a preference no???

12 peeps just sayin':

Anonymous said...

We go both ways at this house. I mean come on...aren't there better things to worry about. :-) However I will tell you that I had an ex who would totally freak if I didn't hang it under. Sheesh...makes me shudder thinking of her.

Unknown said...

Absolutely there are more important things to worry about....
but those things get wayyyyyyyy too heavy and sometimes we need a little levity in our lives....like this post.

lol did my post come off too seriously??? That was not my intention.......

WenWhit said...

I don't give a rat's ass whether it's over or under; as long as the roll is ON the holder, I'm good. Odd, I'm usually more anal... [grin]

Anonymous said...

I just can't stand when it isn't on a roll, but standing up on the tank.

Drewpy Drew said...

I hang my TP over the bushes in my friends front yard.

Anonymous said...

OVER and on the holder!!! we have done a poll over at www.newtownmums.com.au on all members over the way they like there toilet paper too funny....


And our biggest question to date in which we still havent found an answer to is... why do they have telephones in the bathroom in hotel rooms??

Suzanne said...

Wen and I are on the same page with regard to toilet paper. Neither one of us cares which way it comes off the roll.

As long as it's two-ply.
One-ply is the devil's work!

Drewpy Drew said...

Trish - We get along just fine.

BTW - What is you address?

Middle Girl said...

I used to care. I used to want it under. Years ago I was trained to accept the fact that I should be happy it made it ON the roll.

Empty roller in the middle of the night, and that was the last spare (in the br)...not. a. pleasant. thought.

greymatters said...

Absolutely OVER, and ALWAYS on the roll.

SassyFemme said...

OMG, I never would have thought there'd be this much info. about toilet paper. Cracked up over Johnny Carson's tp shortage!

As far as how we hang the toilet paper, over... always over.

Zoe said...

Over, always over. And if it doesn't get put on that way, I'll change it.