December 31, 2007

The year that was..........


2007 has been a year of changes for me to be sure.

A relationship was ended at the very tail end of 2006 that probably should never have been rekindled in the first place **sigh**.

I lost my father after a long, arduous illness that made his leaving bittersweet as his passing was a blessing saving him from anymore suffering....but left the rest of us sad and shell shocked.

Family fallouts ensued and continue.

Grieving was done on all three fronts......the lost relationship, the lost father and the family fall-outs.....and the grieving continues, as it does, in it's own way, in it's own time.

But, as often happens, out of sadness, grief and difficult times often good things ensue. Sometimes these good things are like miracles presented to us to keep us from going mad.

For me that miracle was the lifestyle change I started on January 8, 2007. I call it my lifestyle change because I hate (despise?? cringe at??) the word diet.....and because this has become so much more than "just" a diet -- it really has become a complete lifestyle make-over for me.

Since January 8, 2007 I have lost 70 pounds. I continue to maintain that loss and keep working at losing another 20-30 lbs. I have not weighed what I weigh now in 20+ years. I have completely changed my style of eating to the point where virtually nothing processed, pre-packaged or sugary ever makes it into my system.....and I have yet to start missing any of it!! Slowly but surely I have built up a work-out routine to the point where I work-out hard for at least 45--90 minutes at least 5 times a week. This summer saw me hiking and biking for 10+ miles several times a week. I haven't biked in probably 10 years. I have dropped about 8 clothing sizes. My blood pressure which had become very problematic towards the end of 2006 is completely cleared up and normal now. My cholesterol -- although never bad, bad was certainly borderline for a quite some time and there was one element of it that was really bad -- is now superb!! So much so in fact that my doctor commended me, not just on remarkably bettering my bad cholesterol, but more importantly on raising my good cholesterol which is, apparently, a really difficult feat to accomplish and is very healthy for you!!

So, all in all, this year has had it's fill of the good, the bad and the ugly.....but the bad and the ugly though hard at times -- are tolerable -- and we do somehow get through to the other side. The good?? Well, can't say enough about the good!! I look forward to 2008 with no expectations other than to keep on truckin' with this journey I've been on for the past year.

In the spirit of keeping things simple.....here's my wish for the coming new year to all my friends and family.......


9 peeps just sayin':

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Boo, Wow, I had no idea about the dietary change. Good for you! I bet you are long past thinking of returning to the old way. There is that critical month, but after you change your shopping habits it's hard to go back. I wish you love in 2008.

Forever In Blue Jeans said...

Boo-Congratulations on all your accomplishments my dear! I heard somewhere that endings deserve as much time and attention as new beginnings, looks like you've accomplished that too. Big hug my friend... Happy New Year!

RED MOJO said...

I hope this year is filled with the good the good and the average, or above. It sounds like you are well on your way already. Happy New Year to you!

Steve H said...

congrats on the lifestyle change - that is fantastic!!!

Me. Here. Right now. said...

Dang, girl...I knew when you came back to the blog with the new photo there was a reason for your glowing hottieness! Alright! Low wolf whistle and high 5s!

Attila the Mom said...

Happy New Year, girl! Hope you have a wonderful 2008!

Anonymous said...

You are an inspiration!

Middle Girl said...

wooooo wheeeee... i hadn't even read this when i wish a happy new you! New you is an understatement. YOU! go! girl! wooooo wheeeeeee

Unknown said...

The New Year always brings about reconciliation. We reconcile hurt feelings, loss, love gone awry, misunderstandings, recalculate lines drawn in the sand, learn to hold on and...to let go.

I am going to post this on my blog because I do feel that life is all about renewal. Constant and beautiful renewal.