November 10, 2006

Who knows..........

LOL....Ironic how directions can switch on the turn of a dime eh?? Recently, in my mid-40's I have been contemplating the notion of how to live my life more from the perspective of the glass is half-full than half-empty. I get glimpses of it now and then and I'm not saying that I am a pessimistic person because most folks who know me would not think that in the least. However, life is short and there are times when my mind wanders more automatically to the negatives, the what-ifs..., the if-only's...., the should's...., [the "should's" is actually a pet peeve of mine in general...it is a word we could do without entirely in most cases......but I still fall into the trap of "should' ing"myself!!!].....but I digress!!

So what I am talking about here is not an un-realistic, looking at the world through "rose coloured glasses" approach to life, not-a-fake- cutesy-all-is-well-with-the-world-I-have-my-blinders-on-and-my-head-in-the-sand approach to life.

It's more subtle than that, this which I am after.....and yesterday driving in the car it hit me.....all because of that philosophical notion of....is the glass half-full or half-empty.....and thinking of that caused the penny to drop in terms of trying to defining this "thing" I have been after. In general, although not a pessimist (damnit!), I do tend to see things and approach things from the....glass is half empty perspective.....and life is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too short for that kind of nonsense!!!

So......and I am getting to my point.....trust me...........

I wondered if this kind of thing can be learned.....ie)unlearn the half-empty and learn the half-full.........so what do I do........I turn to google!!! And in my searching.......this picture is the first thing that came up.........karmic irony??? Who the hell knows....but it sure as hell is f**ing funny if you ask me..........

Once published, I hope this picture comes out big enough for you to read it.....it's hilarious!!! But if not you can go here and see it.....it really is worth the trip....:)

7 peeps just sayin':

Trish Ess said...

LMAO - My husband needs one of those mugs.

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Barb, consider this: Rather than ask if it is half full or half empty, you should ask why the glass was over designed?

Middle Girl said...

This is one of those days I wish my mom had a computer (or would use it, if she did)

You have no idea how close this hits home. I won't drone the details..but, 'tis much appreciated. :)

Unknown said...

Guy....is that a gestalt kind of question....or am I totally screwing up my theories??

**grin**

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Nothing that deep, unless you want it to be. I think it was Dilbert who first posed that question. Sorry to disappoint you ; )

Unknown said...

roflmao....gestalt...dilbert...it's all good...no disappointment whatsoever......:)

Val said...

I need a mug like this for the optimist that has the line at the bottom, so it's always showing half-full! ;)

Hope you're getting more in the half-full way... it's SO much more fun!