December 14, 2006

But the greatest of these is love........


Throughout my life certain thoughts, phrases, passages, song lyrics or quotes have stuck with me for one reason or another…..hence I started the Points to Ponder at the bottom of my blog posts. I remember some of the reasons these particular ones caught my attention and other reasons have been long forgotten…..but the words have remained. I have them everywhere in all kinds of notebooks, bits of paper and journals.....serious ones, funny ones....ones about life...ones about love...ones to make you stop and think.....and pretty much any other topic you can think of really...all of them were kept because they spoke to me on some level.



One of the earliest prominent ones has been simply……Faith, Hope and Love…..just those 3 words. As a teenager I had a necklace with the symbolic representations of those words…a cross, an anchor and a heart around my neck for years and years. I lost track of that necklace but not before I was able get a tattoo, my first, of it done on my chest….near my heart….a red heart, a purple cross and a blue anchor layered over top of each other.


I’m not even sure when I realized that it was part of a biblical passage from First Corinthians 13:13…..but I do know that I did not always know that…..I just liked the trinity of the words.



I am not a particularly religious person and ours was never a particularly religious family – both my parents would go in fits and starts with taking us to church, or not. We went through confirmation classes and all the standard kinds of things I suppose but for the most part I remember going mainly on Easter Sunday and at Christmas.


And now abide faith, hope, love, these three;
but the greatest of these is love.
1 Corinthians 13:13 (New King James Version)

Not sure where I was going with this post....just my evenings thoughts and ramblings on paper I suppose....oh and before I forget I liked this little variation on the theme........


Points to Ponder.....

A part of me is left in every place I have loved.....
be it a simple tear, a dream or the echo of my voice.

5 peeps just sayin':

The Guy Who Writes This said...

OK Boo, you're starting to freak me out now...

Unknown said...

Oh my dear Guy....no need to freak out hon!!! You're just missing my Queen Bitch posts aren't you???

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Am I ever...I'm getting that "Sunshine and Lollypops" song going through my head right now...Oh no! It's changing to the Carpenters, "Close to You." I need to visit Syds blog to break your evil spell...

Middle Girl said...

Hitting me very close to where I was residing today.

(for some reason I can't comment when I'm at work) arrgghhh

Anonymous said...

Peace, hope, love... and sex.