February 02, 2007

And so it begins.......

....co-parenting a pet with the ex!

I just got back from dropping off my big dog -- Molly -- to visit with her other mother my ex.....why yes...it was actually in the formal seperation agreement!! We have had Molly for about 4 years now. She will be gone for 10 days or so when the ex has an appointment back here in town and will drop her off to me again. I know she will be well cared for and have a good time......but damn I will miss her!! And it was hard not to get emotional....this was the first time seeing the ex since she left.

Here are the 2 girls sleeping together....notice Maggie's head resting on one of Molly's legs....too cute....... Would you believe that there are even articles written about this phenomenon?? I'm sure it's more common than I thought.....I found a book that had been written about pets and divorce.......there have even been custody battles, taken to court, waged over a pet.....that lasted 2 years and cost the couple thousands of dollars each.....and here is another one.

Apparently pet custody battles are on the rise......it's being called the Modern Divorce Issue. Schools, including some of the biggies like Harvard and Yale, are offering animal law classes with segments dedicated to the issue of pet custody. CNN has tackled the issue and even CBS has posted a segment about pets and divorce.

.....a new website dedicated to the subject, http://www.petcustody.com/ (motto: "We're family too"), allows engaged couples to download pet prenuptial forms, and recommends that people get their affairs in order early. "Always, always, always put clear, concise language in prenups that cover your pet," counsels the site.

Talk about going to extremes.......roflmao pet prenups???? Oh dear.........

I couldn't bear the thought of being dog-less for 10 days so Maggie is still here with me.......



....Maggie looking for her big sister....

Maggie is more "my" dog....she joined us about 6 months ago as an impulse (mine) rescue dog....it's amazing though how close the 2 dogs have become!! Maggie ALWAYS wants to be touching some part of Molly when they are sleeping......

....Bookends of cuddly, soft, adorable doggy goodness....


Points to Ponder.....

Animals are such agreeable friends -- they ask no questions, pass no criticisms.
--George Eliot

I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts.
--John Steinbeck

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too.
--Samuel Butler

13 peeps just sayin':

Middle Girl said...

Maggie and Mollie-both adorable. :)

You are touching on territory I had not even considered. Oh. My. pet pre-nups.

Attila the Mom said...

Awww, those lil fuzzballs! My Molly is barely 3 pounds, and yes, she just has to cuddle up with the big dogs!

poet said...

when i left my marriage in 2002, he had to take care of the cats, until i found suitable housing where i would be allowed cats. when that was done, i brought jess with me, i should have grabbed bud as well, but he said no. in the end i have both. long story. this is a good post. and in matters of divorce, everything should be considered, especially pets. they are, after all, furbabies to those of us who don't have human children.

Beth said...

Love the bookends pictures of those sweet dogs.
A separation's rough on pets, too.
And yet another stage for you to get through. Take care.

Trish Ess said...

Awww... hon... {{{{big hugs}}}}

I know you're missin' and hurtin'.. but the dog is missin' and hurtin' too.. and they don't understand why their other mom is gone. Your dog will be happy to see her other mom for the next few days, and be a bazillion times more happy to see you when it's time to come home!

Oh.. and .. doesn't feel too cold to me outside.. but the wind.. geeeeeezzz... did I just see a cow whizzing through the air?! :)

Bent Fabric said...

The girls are adorable!

SassyFemme said...

I love the fact that they touch while they sleep. That is just too precious.

Anonymous said...

Great pix hon.

If you're missing Molly too much I have a teenager I could send you...

Just sayin'

Unknown said...

Cute dogs. I can see why both would want her ...

Man, those dogs look so warm ...

Kathryn said...

Your dogs are sooo cute. The little one looks a lot like my Ginger!

Glad the co-parenting is going okay!

pog mo thoin said...

Your dogs are lovely. I don't think that matters of animals are any less important than matters of people! They look like happy kids!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just came over here from Love Is a Four Legged Word, where your girls were featured! They are soooooo adorable!

Good luck with the co-parenting. I can imagine how tough it is for you!

Unknown said...

What beautiful babies you have! Molly and Maggie are just precious and they seem to get along like angels! I'm sure that's not *always* the case, but when they do get along, look at them! Beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing.