November 22, 2006

Change of pace.......

I had to get past my post from yesterday....thank-you so much for all of the kind comments, hugs and well wishes......they are much appreciated!!!

As I sit here thinking about what my next post will be I realize that I am currently doing one of my very favourite things.....something I had forgotten about for a few weeks and just re-discovered....lol for some reason I am tempted to tell you that it's something naughty....just cuz I have you at the edge of your seat already.....just waiting!!!

But that would be a lie and besides it's nothing THAT exciting........


As I write this......I am sipping a steaming hot mug of chai tea made with milk.....and what a comforting, soul soothing thing that is!!! (.....some would say that the naughty thought might have been too.....but, well.....you know....)

Anyway.....on with the chai teaChai is simply the word for “tea” in Hindi and several other Asian languages. The spicy, milky variety known in India as masala chai is called “chai” in North America.

Masala Chai, an aromatic spiced tea, has been the Indian drink of choice for hundreds of years. It is the perfect blend of freshly ground spices (chai masala) like cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom and pepper, added to a boiling pot of loose leaf tea and milk to make a delicious, satisfying and healthy beverage.

Recipes for chai are like recipes for fried chicken; there are a lot of good recipes, strong regional preferences, and everyone thinks theirs is the best. METHODS differ. Some folks stew/boil the tea with the spices. Others stew the spices with the sugar, then add and brew the tea, then add the milk. I like this slightly thickened texture. A third group stews the spices, then adds and brews the tea, then stir in the sugar and the milk. It's your choice.

The spices used vary from region to region and among households in India. The most common are cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and pepper. Indian chai produces a warming, soothing effect, acts as a natural digestive aid and gives one a wonderful sense of well being.

It's difficult to resist a second cup.....

which is where I am off to now.....to make a second cuppa!!

6 peeps just sayin':

Anonymous said...

See you are evil ; )

Middle Girl said...

To heck with the eggnog, bring on that chai!

Anonymous said...

I love Chai Tea!!! Hope to see you ove r at my new digs....


www.ramble-on-rose.com

SassyFemme said...

Mmmm, I adore tea!

DB said...

I love chai. Black tea is a big no, no right now(caffeine + heart palpitations = me half dead).

I bought some rooibos chai lately and it's okay. Too spicy for my taste(perhaps warm milk would help).

I've been considering trying to figure out how to make chai with rooibos in order to spice it the way I like it.

That will have to wait until...probably after Christmas. Sigh...

J. said...

Oh dear. I do miss my chai tea. Bosnia's keen on coffee, not so keen on tea. Sigh...