February 10, 2007

Check out this behemoth.....

Here's a pet for you animal lovers !!!

On a typical day he will devour 20lb of meat, usually beef or chicken, and is capable of eating 100lb at a single setting. At just three years old, Hercules already weighs half a ton.











He is the unintentional result of two enormous big cats living close together at the Institute of Greatly Endangered and Rare Species, in Miami, Florida, and already dwarfs both his parents.

" Ligers are not something we planned on having," said institute owner Dr Bhagavan Antle. "We have lions and tigers living together in large enclosures and at first we had no idea how well one of the lion boys was getting along with a tiger girl, then lo and behold we had a liger." These two cats don't normally have the opportunity to breed in the wild, as most lions live in Africa and most tigers in Asia.

Look at the size of the head on this thing……..







Ligers are 50mph runners….not only that, but he likes to swim, a feat unheard of among water-fearing lions. In the wild it is virtually impossible for lions and tigers to mate Not only are they enemies likely to kill one another. But incredible though he is, Hercules is not unique. Ligers have been bred in captivity, deliberately and accidentally, since shortly before World War II .

Today there are believed to be a handful of ligers around the world and a similar number of tigons, the product of a tiger father and lion mother. Tigons are smaller than ligers and take on more physical characteristics of the tiger.



Check out the fangs - like pre-historic days

18 peeps just sayin':

Trish Ess said...

Awww.. Here kitty, kitty, kitty! :)

Anonymous said...

Is that woman out of her mind??

nina michelle said...

Holy cow that woman's head could fit inside kitty's mouth! Wonder if she ever thinks of that?

Growing up the zoo had a liger named Shasta. It was always the first animal I would want to go see. When Shasta died of old age I was sad. Then the first time I took my own kids to the zoo there Shasta was stuffed and hanging on the wall.... rest in peace Shasta!

Beth said...

Magnificent creature - FROM A DISTANCE!

Me. Here. Right now. said...

I couldn't stop staring at these pictures. Then, when I tore myself away from the computer, I had to come back and look again. Kind of like payin' da' man to look at the freaks at the sideshow. What a magnificent animal, but how bizarre. Reminds me of my last girlfriend who turned out to be half shrew and half carnivorous wildebeest.

Drewpy Drew said...

Gosh!!

Vote for Pedro.

Middle Girl said...

Yowzah!

poet said...

what a wonderful creature. nice, kitty....from a feline lover...poet

mist1 said...

Have you seen these animals?

Camurtle=Camel + Turtle
Turkizard=Turkey + Lizard
Squitten=Squirrel + Kitten
Chingo=Chicken + Dingo

Mr. A said...

I've seen these things before and although I'm impressed by them I can't help but feel this forced genetic breeding is a BAD thing.

One thing if it happens in the wild but to force breed these things is a bad idea IMO.

In fact, anytime man screws with nature it's a bad idea.

Unknown said...

Good idea: protecting endangered cats.

Bad idea: Riding on the cat's back. Look at those teeth!

fringes said...

That certainly puts my lab chow mix to shame.

Nikki said...

Now THAT is a real cat.

I'd get one, but I'd be afraid that it would snack on my children.

Bitter Betty said...

"It's pretty much my favorite animal"

~Napolean Dynamite

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

WOW. Look at how tiny she looks compared to that creature! I might be more afraid of it than I was at JAWS when I was a kid! Well...maybe not, but close!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Attila the Mom said...

I'm with Trish---is that woman out of her mind? LOL