February 23, 2007

A most memorable gift......

Not sure what made me think of this today....must be feeling nostalgic or something.

When I was 16 we had lived for 2+ years in New York City and were moving to Minneapolis. While in NYC I held several very lucrative after-school jobs as a dog walker and dog sitter....it was a great job....we had our own dogs that needed walking and picking up a few more on the way was no big deal and a great way to make money as just about everyone in NYC has a dog it seems!!

I became very attached to one of the dogs I often walked...and sometimes he would come to our house when his owners were away on holidays. His name was Tuffy and he was this lil black cockapoo mix....we has just adorable....Dad used to call refer to him as an animated floor mop as his fur was fluffy and quite unruly and he was a quirky lil guy with lots of energy. Our dogs had always been big golden retrievers with the laid-back, laissez-faire attitudes.

Now it turns out that Tuffy's owners offered him to me as their two teenage daughters....whom the dog had been originally bought for and who were supposed to look after the guy....had lost interest in him....and the owners saw how attached I was to him....and were happy to give him to me. However, when I asked my parental units they did consider it but in the end said no due to the fact that we were in the middle of a move, had 2 dogs and 2 cats already etc., etc..

Once in Minneapolis I got over my heart-ache pretty quickly what with getting used to a new school, new home and making new friends....but for the first little while I would still often think about Tuffy.

Fast forward about 6 months and Dad finds himself on a business trip back to NYC......imagine my utter and complete suprise when, on his return, he pulled in the garage and the family gathered to greet him, he gathers his bags and brings them in the front hallway as he is hugging and greeting everyone and says that he forgot something in the car.....when he came back in....

he was beaming from ear to ear and what did he hold out for me......

.....Tuffy in an airplane pet carrier!!!

Erik and Tuffy...a boy and his dog, 1980


Bless his heart, unbeknownst to anyone -- even my Mom I think (I must ask her one day but I don't think she even knew), he had contacted Tuffy's owners while he was back in NYC for his business meeting and they had happily turned him over to my Dad who brought him home to the family.

This was so out of the blue and so out of character for my Dad...I was just floored....absolutely and completely floored!! Now don't get me wrong......we were all most fortunate in that we received many great gifts and things we asked for and wanted throughout our childhood.....and for that I will always be grateful..........

Tuffy, Rye, Erik and Fancy 1982

........but this.........this was the best, most meaningful, most memorable gift I ever received.......

Do you have a favourite, most memorable gift story???




8 peeps just sayin':

Anonymous said...

Awww *sniff* lil' tuffer-tonian LOL.

He also liked to play the "rock game" where if you tossed a stone he would run after it and return it to you...dropping it at your feet for you to throw again. And if you kept walking he would pick it up and run after you to drop at your feet again, never giving up until you finally threw the dern stone. We all got such a kick out of playing that funny little game...I can still hear dad breaking out into peals of laughter.

Tuffy was cute. Rye was my favourite. Fancy...notsomuch.

SassyFemme said...

What a wonderful story, and such a cute dog!

Middle Girl said...

My dad, when he was around brought home strays, all the time. It seemed like a different pup..sometimes some other critter, every week. Mom was not amused.

Very touching story and extremely cute pup.

Unknown said...

A flying softball once gave me a giant shiner ... that was a nice gift.

Actually, I have few "gift" memories ... but I did like the Star Wars stuff I once got for Christmas.

Excellent story.

Bitter Betty said...

That's such a great story.

I've had lots of special gifts from people but my boyfriend now is the first person who truly listens to me. He's surprised me with memory for my computer, which I really wanted, a Rabbit, which I also really wanted (and I don't mean the fuzzy little animal), and as goofy as it was to him, a hat and buff from Survivor this past Christmas. Which were the exact colors I wanted and are very coveted. I think of him every time I wear my beloved ugly orange Survivor baseball hat.

Unknown said...

What a BEAUTIFUL story!! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful memory with us! I have one, but can't really share here...it's bittersweet for me right now. Maybe someday :)

Kari Lee Townsend said...

Very cute. Always love your pictures and stories.

Me. Here. Right now. said...

Hey, great idea...I've left my story on my blog...thanks! It's a dog story too, just a little different! http://www.hahnathome.com